2008-06-12

Why New Technology Fails… Big Time

First of all I am sorry to bring up technology again but it is a big part of our lives. Unless you live in a stone cave, but then you wouldn't be reading this, would you. First things first: mobile phones. Mobile phones are extremely popular and most people like to switch to a new one every 6th month or so. However, there is very little focus on the phone as such. A built in 5 megapixel camera with optical zoom and a flash is more popular than the quality of the microphone. And the new slick designs are so attractive millions of people end up with an 18 month pre-pay plan for a phone they'll only like for a year.

Don't get me wrong. I love technology and design very much but why put in a 5 megapixels camera and make it ultra-slim when a person with a well functioning brain can figure out it won't be as good as a separate camera and a phone. And yes, they break down… and mine did. Well, it wasn't 5 megapixels (only 1.3) and no, it had no built in GPS either but it had millions of functions I have never cared or known how to use. Now I use my old mobile phone which can call other people, receive calls and send messages… good enough for me really.

Next up in this "New technology that fails" post is my HDD. I've written quite a lot about it and that's because the hard disk drive is a rather important part of a functioning computer. You see, my HDD has a G-Sensor which in case of a free fall will retract the read/write heads from the disk so the that the disk won't be damaged, and all my data will be safe. In theory, like the mobile phone/megapixel camera, it is a perfect idea but it doesn't really work. What happens is the following:

  1. The G-Sensor records a free fall (although my computer is perfectly still, sitting on my desk).
  2. The read/write heads are retracted so fast it causes a loud click from the HDD.
  3. The S.M.A.R.T value show a load/unload retry since the heads had to be retracted so fast.
  4. The S.M.A.R.T value for G-Sense Error Rate increases ridiculously as it understands it wasn't falling at all.
  5. The S.M.A.R.T values will eventually (after some months) reach the threshold value and the system will report the drive as broken.

I just want to congratulate all hard working multibillion electronics corporations for making products we are fooled to buy, when the gadgets will live a life of its own and die after laughing us in the face. My personal theory is that they want to put new technology on the market too fast. Please develop the products first will you?

Now it's your turn. Please comment on a new gadget that has wrecked your life. I know I'm not alone.

No comments: