2008-04-20

Stockholm 2008 Day 1


It was Friday morning, the 21th of March. Not too cold and knowing we would spend the next 6 hours sitting we decided to walk down to the central station of Helsingborg (approx. 3 km or 1.86 miles). Since we packed light we were soon on our way to Stockholm. Of course the train was delayed, reason unknown, and we had to stand in the snow at one of the most boring stations known to man: Hässleholm. We got to Stockholm checked in at our hotel, which was close to Odenplan.


I have probably forgotten to tell you why we did this trip, but here it is: my parents were celebrating their 20th anniversary. The first thing we were supposed to do was to eat dinner at Ulriksdals Wärdshus, where they ate their wedding dinner. And oh yes it is fancy! And due to the long trip we were a bit (at least my sister and I) giggly, we almost seemed tipsy. And looking upon the stern, snobbish faces of the other upper-class guests did not make us stop giggling. Actually, when the waiter came to take away our main course plates I was snorting with laughter at my sister imitating a fish being strangled (I nearly got it on video). Next to us was a couple, seemingly on a date. The man was mostly interested in his mobile phone and the woman, with nothing else to do, gulped down her wine. In doing this she turned extremely red, which people who drink too much might do. Her date suddenly got really interested and put down his mobile phone to talk to her. I reckon the words in his head was: "She's drunk, I might get lucky tonight". This gives you an image of how our evening was. The food was delicious, the wine was overpriced so overall a fantastic first evening in Stockholm.


The rest of the evening we discovered that everything was closed except for one café (reminding me of Mezo in Helsingborg) which was open until 02.00 am. We spent some time there and soon went back to our hotel to get some sleep.

No comments: