2008-02-28

Microsoft revival

I just decided that I wanted to talk a bit about technology. Technology plays a big part of my life and I am constantly amazed by what engineers can put together. This post will be software related as Long Zheng on www.istartedsomething.com (link in list to the right) drew my attention to a speech by Roy Gould on TED talk (www.ted.com also in the list to the right). Roy Gould presented Microsoft's World Wide Telescope. Just like Google Earth lets you explore the Earth, the World Wide Telescope lets you explore the whole universe as a seamless 3D experience. World Wide Telescope will be downloadable from www.worldwidetelescope.org somewhere during the spring 2008.

This technology makes me think of the Seadragon and Photosynth projects which are also in progress. Check them out at www.labs.live.com. This definitely makes Microsoft look a little better after ruthless buying other competing companies. It seems like Microsoft is in a really giving mood this year. Dreamspark just kicked off this spring and students worldwide can now download expensive development software for free. All you need to do is to prove that you are a student. In Sweden this is done by surfing to www.csn-kortet.se and to link your student card number with your live-ID then go to www.downloads.channel8.msdn.com and download what you want.

As I said this makes Microsoft look better in times when Google gives away excellent software for free and alternatives to Windows, such as Linux and Mac become more competent. I am still not going to buy Vista but I am really impressed by the projects going on.

No comments: